1. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW). Chronic respiratory conditions. Canberra; AIHW: 2018. Available online at: www.aihw.gov.au/reports-data/health-conditions-disability-deaths/chronic-respiratory-conditions/overview (accessed June 2019).
2. Access Economics. Economic impact of COPD and cost effective solutions. Report for the Australian Lung Foundation. Sydney: Access Economics Pty Ltd; October 2008.
3. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Mortality from asthma and COPD in Australia. Cat. no. ACM 30. Canberra: AIHW; 2014.
4. Agusti A. The path to personalised medicine in COPD. Thorax 2014; 69: 857-864.
5. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management and Prevention of COPD (2019 report). Available online at: https://goldcopd.org/gold-reports (accessed June 2019).
6. Agusti A, Bel E, Thomas M, et al. Treatable traits: toward precision medicine of chronic airway diseases. Eur Respir J 2016; 47: 410-419.
7. Han MK, Agusti A, Calverley PM, et al. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease phenotypes: the future of COPD. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2010; 182: 598-604.
8. Miravitlles M, Soler-Cataluña JJ, Calle M, Soriano JB. Treatment of COPD by clinical phenotypes: putting old evidence into clinical practice. Eur Respir J 2013; 41; 1252-1256.
9. Lange P, Cell B, Agusti A, et al. Lung-function trajectories leading to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 2015; 373: 111-122.
10. Yang IA, Brown JL, George J, et al. The COPD-X plan: Australian and New Zealand guidelines for the management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 2018. Version 2.56, December 2018. Available online at: https://copdx.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/COPDX-V2-56-Dec-2018-Web.pdf (accessed June 2019).
11. Biancardi E, Fennell M, Rawlinson W, Thomas PS. Viruses are frequently present as the infecting agent in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in patients presenting to hospital. Intern Med J 2016; 46: 1160-1165.
12. Bosnic-Anticevich S, Chrystyn H, Costello RW, et al. The use of multiple respiratory inhalers requiring different inhalation techniques has an adverse effect on COPD outcomes. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulm Dis 2017; 12: 59-71.
13. Chrystyn H, Van Der Palen J, Sharma J, et al. Device errors in asthma and COPD: systematic literature review and meta-analysis. NPJ Prim Care Respir Med 2017; 27: 22
14. Singh S, Loke YK, Furberg CD. Inhaled anticholinergics and risk of major adverse cardiovascular events in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2008; 300: 1439-1450.
15. Michele TM, Pinheiro S, Iyasu S. The safety of tiotropium – the FDA’s conclusions. N Engl J Med 2010; 363: 1097-1099.
16. Ogale SS, Lee TA, Au DH, Boudreau DM, Sullivan SD. Cardiovascular events associated with ipratropium bromide in COPD. Chest 2010; 137: 13-19.
17. Chen WC, Huang CH, Sheu CC, et al. Long-acting beta2-agonists versus long-acting muscarinic antagonists in patients with stable COPD: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Respirology 2017; 22: 1313-1319.
18. Oba Y, Sarva ST, Dias S. Efficacy and safety of long-acting beta-agonist/long-acting muscarinic antagonist combinations in COPD: a network meta-analysis. Thorax 2016; 71: 15-25.
19. Calzetta L, Rogliani P, Ora J, Puxeddu E, Cazzola M, Matera MG. LABA/LAMA combination in COPD: a meta-analysis on the duration of treatment. Eur Respir Rev 2017; 26: pii: 160043.
20. Kew KM, Seniukovich A. Inhaled steroids and risk of pneumonia for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014; (3): CD010115.
21. Agusti A, Fabbri LM, Singh D, et al. Inhaled corticosteroids in COPD: friend or foe? Eur Respir J 2018; 52: pii. 1801219.
22. Pavord I, Agusti A. Blood eosinophil count: a biomarker of an important treatable trait in patients with airway disease. Eur Respir J 2016; 47: 1299-1303.
23. Pavord ID, Chanez P, Criner GJ, et al. Mepolizumab for eosinophilic chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 2017; 377: 1613-1629.
24. Herath SC, Poole P. Prophylactic antibiotic therapy for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; (11): CD009764.
25. Devereux G, Cotton S, Fielding S, et al. Effect of theophylline as adjunct to inhaled corticosteroids on exacerbations in patients with COPD: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2018; 320: 1548-1559.
26. Wilson DH, Wakefield MA, Steven ID, Rohrsheim RA, Esterman AJ, Graham NM. ‘Sick of smoking’: evaluation of a targeted minimal smoking cessation intervention in general practice. Med J Aust 1990; 152: 518-521.